Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Unit 1: Art in my Heritage

The fact of being half Cuban half Mexican with Spanish, French, Aztec and Taino heritage, gives very diverse forms of art and culture in my life. From the traditional instruments of music and dances to the sometimes primal and sophisticated techniques of painting, I represent somehow all of them. It can be said that Mexican art is the one I have more influence from. I grew up in love with Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera, the sound of the music and the colors of the traditional folklore. Then it is possible to say that because of my Cuban heritage, I can imitate the sound of tribal percussions and dance like the original people from the island did. Finally from the Spanish art, I got the most graceful movements of a flamenco dancer that my grandmother taught me, and from he French I got the profound admiration for painters like Monet, Toulouse Lautrec and Pissarro. I believe that it does not matter where you come from or what is your heritage because after all, every culture in the world, even with different traditions, they reflect their autochthony with the same purpose of representation.

No comments:

Post a Comment